Saturday, March 7, 2015

2015 - Goals, Aspirations, and Plans.

First post of 2015 - mainly because, for the first time that I can remember, I took a true "offseason" and didn't really race from December to March.  Last year - my first race was in January - and I went nearly full bore until November.  This resulted in being more fatigued and getting banged up throughout the year.  At least, for me it did.  I found that day to day life, combined with constant training and trying to "stay peaked" for a slew of races, just wore me out.

So, as mentioned above, I decided some time off was in order (although I still kept my training regimen - the load was lightened).    This meant not doing some of the early season races I initially planned for (which included some "warm up" races for Ironman 70.3 Oceanside).  However, I feel great physically with the training I've done, and have made quite a bit of progress from where I was at the end of last year.  So, with that said, I have high hopes for some of my goals.

My athletic specific goals, in no particular order, are:

- Have a "Kona Qualifying" caliber race at Ironman Lake Tahoe.  I'm hoping to break 10 hours on a tough course and feel if I get my swim on point it's highly doable for me.
- Go under 4:30 at a 70.3 race (either Ironman 70.3 Oceanside or Challenge Rancho Cordova).
- Qualify for USAT Duathlon Nationals.
- End the season as a USAT Duathlon All American.
- Break 3 hours at an "end of season" marathon while pushing my son in a stroller.

Outside of those, I want to represent my sponsors, team, coach, and endurance community the best I can at all times.  I hope that's something that won't be so challenging - as I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth sometimes - but hopefully it will all be good.

With that said, my main race schedule this year revolves around Ironman Lake Tahoe. Personally, I'm hoping this race is much like it was in 2013 - with freezing temperatures, miserable weather, a tough race course, and a massive challenge to even finish the race.  First, it's my best shot at getting a top podium spot.  Secondly, I want to remember the race - much like Leadman.  I want an epic race.

Ironman 70.3 California and Rancho Cordova are the two halves I have set up for this year - and I'm thinking Rancho Cordova is the best bet I have at hitting my time goal.

I'll be doing all 3 Camarillo Duathlon Series events, and adding in the OC Duathlon.  Ideally, I can qualify for All American status and for the USAT Du Nats through these races.  If I can find a way to squeeze in a long course duathlon - I'll try to do that too.

I haven't targeted a marathon for the end of the year yet, and I haven't decided whether or not I'll be doing any "filler races" (i.e. shorter tris, 5k through half marathon runs, etc) in the interim.  I'll probably do the Magic Mountain Man race - mainly because I missed it last year and it has some sentimental value to me.  Since it's a week after Ironman Lake Tahoe - I won't be "racing" it.  I'll consider it a victory lap (regardless of how Tahoe goes).  Outside of that - it's all up in the air.

So now it's on paper for the world to see, and hopefully I can live up to it.

I'll be making a post next week getting into more detail of what's changed for me since last year, where I plan to concentrate my training, new sponsors/supporters, and some training tips that I've found have worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment