Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Identifying weak spots.

Been awhile since I updated this, so I figured I'd grace the masses with a "race report" of my latest race.

Two weeks ago I did an Olympic distance triathlon (that I won a free entrance to thanks to the good folks at RaceGrader.com ).  I had no intentions to specifically train for it and figured I would make this a "just for fun" type of race.

Well, it turned out as much more than that.  Mainly, because it highlighted an incredible weak spot for me:  The swim.

Now, I've never been a good swimmer.  I've never claimed to and never really tried.  I can swim forever, but I swim slow.  Very slow.  Agonizingly slow.  Second to last in my age group slow.

Yeah.  That bad.

Now, normally, I can come out of the swim and pass most people on the bike and then catch the rest of the people on the run.  That's my normal plan of attack and it usually works for me and puts me in the upper tier of my age group and makes me competitive against all but the most stacked of triathletes.  Normally.

However, when you do a 1500m open water swim in just a shade under 40 minutes - that REALLY makes it difficult to catch a podium.  That's not to say I didn't try though.  I have a very good bike split - considering my swim (1:05 - which included a stop to see if someone was ok when they crashed) and my run wasn't the fastest run I've done but adequate (37:00ish).  Finished 11th, but would have podiumed if my swim was under 30 minutes (which I SHOULD be able to do).

So that's the bad news - the good news is that I'm working on my swim using Dave Luscan's Finding Freestyle method.  www.findingfreestyle.com  So far so good - and he really seems to think I'll be ready for Leadman utilizing his program.  So we'll see - but all signs are pointing to it being VERY positive.

The better news?  I got a new bike!  And new wheels!

I'm really in love with this bike and felt faster on it than I ever have felt.  Hopefully, this weekend I'll be able to take it out on a 40k time trial and see if I can break that magic 58:00 barrier that's eluded me.  We'll see.

Outside of that, be on the lookout for a couple new shoe reviews that I'll be posting in the upcoming month(s).  I'll do my best to keep this updated - but I got a little guy making it somewhat difficult. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment